God does not want us to sit back and wait for Him to drop some truth into our laps. Instead of waiting passively, God desires that we actively pursue Him. Jesus said, “Keep asking, and it will be given to you. Keep searching, and you will find. Keep knocking, and the door will be opened to you” (Matthew 7:7)
Before reading a passage, pause to sincerely ask God to speak to you. It may not seem like a big deal, but it is extremely important to seek God’s guidance in order to understand His Word (1 Corinthians 2:12-14). Every time we open our Bibles, we should pray the simple prayer that David prayed: “Open my eyes so that I may contemplate wonderful things from Your instruction [Word]” (Psalm 119:18).
HIGHLIGHT the verses that speak to you.
- Write out the name of the book.
- Which chapter and verse numbers stand out to you?
EXPLAIN what this passage means.
- To whom was it originally written? Why?
- How does it fit with the verses before and after it?
- What is the Holy Spirit intending to communicate through this text?
APPLY what God is saying in these verses to your life.
- What does this mean today?
- What is God saying to you personally?
- How can you apply this message to your life?
RESPOND to what you’ve read.
- In what ways does this passage call you to action?
- How will you be different because of what you’ve learned?
- Write out a prayer to God in response to what you read today